Wednesday 12 September 2007

I Don't Want My Mummy

Whilst this year was officially the "year of the threequel", one franchise managed to escape, delaying itself by another 12 months or so - luckily for us.

The original remake of The Mummy was an entertaining, ghoulish thrill ride, all sand-whipping CGI, walking dead egyptians and killer beatles. It was genuinely scary [well, I was only 8...], guiltily using any plot device at its disposal, be it mummies, plagues or wartime rivalry, but always managing to chundle along pleasantly enough.

The sequel - with it's oh so original title The Mummy Returns - is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It tried so hard to exceed its predecessor that it left out what was so enjoyable about it. The Rock sucked. The CGI went backwards, and it was frankly ridiculous. The plot rambled, the action was disengaging and yet it still spawned a spin-off, The Scorpion King - another failure in my eyes.

So it shall come as no surprise that the Mummy 3 does not have a lot going for it. Director Stephen Sommers took a break from the series to direct the abysmal Van Helsing, and even he hasn't bothered returning to the franchise that made his name. Neither has Rachel Weisz, who has since moved on to bigger and better things. Also did I mention that it's called The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor? Having read a simple plot outline, I found myself reading the words "shape-shifting entity", "curse" and "wizard". Oh dear.

I'll let you make your own mind up, but you can be sure I won't be reviewing this one. Unless we start an "awful films" section. Which I might well do.

In other movie news, Indy 4 gets a title! Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is released on 22nd May 2008. Awesome!

No comments: